Perfect for brekkie any day. Great recipe from B4BC
Preheat an oven with a cast iron pan in it to 425.
Take half of an avocado and remove the pit. If the space it leaves is a bit small, hollow it out some more.
Crack an egg where the pit was, and top with herbs or cheese if desired. Bake until your egg is cooked to your liking.
We are all trying to eat better and live healthier. However, sometimes it is a daunting task to try and make the right choices. There are several phone apps out there that can help you.
Fastco Exist has put together an impressive list of 7 of the best apps out there. These are our favorite 4.
If you are anything like me – you don’t know that onions shouldn’t be stored in the fridge or that tomatoes taste better if stored at room temperature. Still Tasty is the ultimate shelf life guide. Just enter the item name and still tasty will tell you where to store it and how long its shelf life is. The “Alert Me” function warns you when items should be used up. Say goodbye to wasted food and money!
Ever wonder where that apple was picked from? Harvest Mark is providing you with the tools to trace where your food came from. The HarvestMark Food Traceability App is used daily by shoppers to get inside information about their food, such as where and how it was grown, and if it is subject to recall.
Locavore is the easiest way to find local, in-season food. Pinpoint nearby farmers’ markets & farms that sell the products you love. Discover seasonal recipes.
Whats On My food?
What’s On My Food? is a searchable database designed to make the public problem of pesticide exposure visible and more understandable. How does this tool work? They link pesticide food residue data with the toxicology for each chemical, making this information easily searchable for the first time.
For more healthy choice apps head to Fastco Exist
This Eggplant Caponata recipes comes from chef Marc Vetri and the Tasting Table Summer Cookbook which is free to download here. Eggplant Caponata is a budget friendly dish that will tickle your taste buds.
Photo Credit: Tasting Kitchen Summer Cookbook
Yield: 5 cups (about 8 servings) Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 5 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 3 or 4 small Italian eggplants (2 pounds total), stemmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 canned peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano, coarsely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- 2 to 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the grape seed oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the eggplant cubes and sauté until nicely browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a wire rack set over a drip pan or paper towels.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and sauté the fennel and onion until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sautéed eggplant, pine nuts, and raisins and mix gently so that you don’t break up the eggplant.
- Add 2 teaspoons of the vinegar, then taste and season with salt, pepper, and vinegar as needed.
- Let cool to room temperature before serving.
With the Zoku Quick Pop Makeryou can create delicious healthy treats that your kids will love – and the best part is you can do it in ten minutes or less! Use the Zoku Character Kit to add some personality to your pops. Your kids will love this activity and you get to control the sugar content of their treats. But lets not forget the adults out there as well. The Zoku blog has a fantastic recipe for Cucumber Mint Margarita Quick Pops. Here’s a recipe for the little ones.
Apple, Pear and Orange Quick Pops.
- ½ cup (4 oz) fresh apple juice; chilled
- ½ cup (4 oz) fresh pear juice; chilled
- ½ cup (4 oz) fresh orange juice; chilled
- In a liquid measuring cup with a spout, stir together the apple, pear, and orange juices.
- Remove Zoku Quick Pop Maker from the freezer. Insert sticks and pour the chilled Apple, Pear, and Orange juice base into each cavity until you reach the fill line. Let freeze completely and remove the pops with the Super Tool. Repeat with remaining juice.
Use the character kit to get creative with your pops!