Basil grows best when it is HOT HOT HOT and this summer has been nothing short of HOT. If your herb garden is anything like mine then you are probably fearing that the Little Shop of Horrors has taken over your backyard and everything is growing out of control! Fresh basil is everywhere but what to do with it?
Pesto goes way beyond the pasta bowl. You can spread it on sandwiches, marinate meats, dress cold grains and so much more. Use it fresh or store it for dreary winter months. Here is one of our favorite pesto recipes from the Food Network
2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2 medium red tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 medium yellow tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 3/4 cup diced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Gently toss tomatoes, mozzarella, parsley, basil and salt together in a large bowl. Season with pepper.
Basil and Strawberry Sorbet
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice