It’s hot out there and you would probably pay a million dollars for a cool iced coffee. Have you ever thought about how much you are paying?At $3 a pop that regular trip to the coffee shop might be putting a bigger dent into your wallet than you think. Why not try brewing your own cup at home. Making cold brew is as simple as mixing cool water and ground coffee, but keeping these basic parameters in mind will help you along:
1) Time: Cold brew requires 12 hours to steep. This seems like a lot of time but really you can make enough coffee for the week in one go. You can store the mixture for 10 days if refrigerated.
2) Ratio: Since you are making a concentrate the ratio of coffee to water is high. Roughly 1 part ground coffee to 4.5 parts water (hot brewing is 1:16).
3) Mixing: When you are adding the water add the coffee then water in alternating halves. Resist the urge to stir.
4) Cover and wait 12 hours.
5) Filter: You can use your french press to filter out the grounds or you can use a sieve.
6) Cut the concentrate with one part water and serve over ice. Add milk or sugar to your liking!