We love fall because it means that its PUMPKIN SEASON. This pumpkin and sage soup is on of our favorite fall recipes from Foodie Crush.
- 4 sugar pie pumpkins
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound butter or 2 cubes, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 bunch sage, reserving a dozen leaves
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Over medium heat, heat oil in a large stockpot, add onions and bring temperature down to medium-low to sweat onions until translucent. Meanwhile, cut pumpkins in half and remove seeds.
3. Place sage leaves in each pumpkin half and place on a baking sheet, skin side down. Brush with a 1 tablespoon melted butter and roast for 45 minutes.
4. When softened and pumpkins can be pierced with a fork, remove from oven and peel skin from pumpkins.
5. Combine pumpkin with remaining ingredients into stock pot, except butter with onions. Simmer for 1/2 hour.
6. Remove from heat and add mixture to blender in batches, incrementally adding butter and onions. Adjust seasoning to taste.
7. In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons reserved butter and add reserved sage leaves. Sauté until lightly browned.
8. Serve soup with a dollop of mascarpone, fried sage leaves and a whirl of olive oil if desired.